Monday 23 July 2012

Coming back

Two days from today, it will be four months since I got hit by a car while training and preparing for racing in Europe with Mtn Qhubeka and also the national u23 team.

Ive had two surgeries, one to fix a big whole in my right leg where a piece of my bike ripped through in the accident and a second one to repair ligaments in my knee that were torn. Even thou I'm still busy with rehab on my right leg and only got back to riding on the road a couple of weeks ago, the Dr's and physios are all really happy with how I'm progressing, lets see, maybe I can even race again towards the end of this year!

My training over the last two months has ranged from starting to just lift my leg off the bed, having to use all my strength to keep it in the air for a few seconds, and where I used an elastic band to do leg extensions, to where I can now do one legged squats and lunges, ride my bike for an hour or two a day and have full range of movement back in my leg.

I have had so much support through this time, from the team, my team mates and friends and family. They have all kept me positive and kept my morale high, without them I'm not sure if I would have been this far into my recovery and so far into coming back, so thank you to everyone that have been going through this with me, you mean the world to me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment